While planning a visit to a new city, you should definitely learn how the local transport system works. Together with Lviv Tourist Information Center, we share some tips that will help you to avoid stressful situations and move around Lviv comfortably.
In our city, there are such types of public transport as trams, trolleybuses, buses and minibuses called marshrutkas.
Bus & marshrutka fares
There is a conductor-free system in marshrutkas and buses, so you should pay the driver directly. For the time being, you can pay in cash only. The fare is 15 UAH.
Fare in trams and trolleybuses
To travel in a tram or trolleybus you need to buy a ticket in any way that is convenient for you. You can buy a one-way paper ticket:
- Directly from the driver in cash - preferably giving the exact amount of money and only at the stops.
- In EasyPay machines that are often located near the stops. Just find the section “Lvivelectrotrans”, choose the ticket you need and pay in cash.
- In Lviv Tourist Information Center on 1 Rynok Square, where you can pay only by card.
Once you have purchased a paper ticket, you need to validate it as there can be the controllers on the route. There are mechanical validators on the walls inside the trams and trolleybuses. Each of them has a unique imprint that remains on the ticket - without it the ticket is considered invalid!
In Lviv you can also buy an e-ticket with some apps on your smartphone. Unfortunately, an e-ticket CANNOT be purchased with a foreign bank card.
Types of tickets and their cost
The cost of a one-way single ticket in trams and trolleybuses is:
- 10 UAH, if you buy it directly from the driver;
- 8.5 UAH, if you buy it at Tourist Information Centers, in apps or using validators.
The cost of a transfer ticket that lasts 90 min is 12 UAH. It can be purchased in the EasyPay terminals.
The payment for luggage (40x60x20 cm) is 10 UAH.
The fine for traveling without a ticket is 200 UAH.
Currently, Lviv does not have a single pass for all types of public transport. In buses and marshrutkas you can buy only one-way tickets, but those who use trams and trolleybuses have the opportunity to purchase daily, tourist (three-day), monthly and quarterly passes for trams and trolleybuses. You can buy them:
- on the official website of Lvivelectrotrans. Such passes are valid only if you have a document with a photo.
- in EasyPay terminals in cash. There are more than 600 such terminals in Lviv.
Free public transport use with Lviv City Card
If you have a Lviv City Card, you can use trams and trolleybuses for free - and this is just one of many benefits of a tourist card.
The network of tram and trolleybus routes connects both Lviv railway station and airport with the city center as well as allows you to explore the remote tourist attractions. You can buy Lviv City Card for 24, 48 and 72 hours at Tourist Information Center in the city center (1 Rynok Sq), as well as online following this link.
Search for the optimal route
There are different websites and apps to find the fastest and most convenient route, as well as to track the location of the public transport you need. Try the most popular ones which also have an English version:
- EasyWay app (Download here: Apple Store; Google Play) and website